The Reading Shelf

I love reading books, especially Young Adult books of all kinds. I have a book reviewing blog (The Reading Shelf) that I try to update whenever I'm not reading or procrastinating on the internet.

Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen

Someone Like You - Sarah Dessen

Yet another Sarah Dessen book, this time one that focuses on friendship more than romance, at least according to the summary. It’s not one of my favorites from her, but I did prefer it when it focused on Scarlett and Halley’s friendship.

Halley is the main character and she certainly has her own story, but I cared more about Scarlett. Scarlett is the pregnant one, the one dealing with all these changes and trying to do what she believes in and dealing with her friend’s first serious relationship. Halley has relationship and mother drama, which is pretty common in young adult books, so it didn’t catch my attention nearly as much. I preferred the scenes with Scarlett and Scarlett’s mother and the man she’s dating (very interesting character indeed, even though he doesn’t have a big role).

Yes, there is relationship drama. I initially liked the love interest, so when things got strained between them I wasn’t really happily (not at Halley – definitely not her fault) and the relationship drama just didn’t interest me. The drama with Halley’s mother was a bit more interesting, but it seemed kind of random and often seemed like it needed some more backstory or focus on it for it to feel real.

The ending was nice, but it also seemed like a little extra bit of drama was thrown in for no reason. (I don’t think this is a spoiler, but be warned in case you don’t want to know anything) I mean, Scarlett nearly has her baby at prom! I thought it was funny when Scarlett specifically yelled at Halley that she didn’t want to have a baby at prom and refused to stay in one place even if it meant they didn’t have a ride because the ambulance wasn’t there yet.

And, this was a bit random, but Halley’s name threw me for a bit of a loop. I know what Halley’s Comet is and I could have sworn it’s pronounced “hay-lee,” like the normal name. Either I’m wrong or this book is so old (it’s from the mid-1990s, I believe) that the name Haley, Hayley, Haylee, etc. is so uncommon that no one has heard of it. Halley kept going on and on about how her name is so unusual and requires a lot of explanation, but the whole time she’s saying this, I’m thinking “how is her name unusual?” But, like I said, that could just be because I grew up in a time when the name Hayley is more common. I mean, one of my best friends in eighth grade was named Hayley! Not really that unusual in my world.

So, tangent over. This was a decent book. I enjoyed it a lot more when it was focusing on the friendship between Halley and Scarlett, so I thought there was too much focus on the relationship and mother-daughter drama, but overall not too bad.